Choosing the right accident attorney is an important, herculean task. Selecting the right personal injury lawyer can mean the difference between a modest settlement amount and a large amount of money. Learn how to choose the best Annapolis-area accident attorney in a few easy steps.
image by pixbay
How to Choose the Right Personal Injury Attorney
- Experience – It’s important to select your accident attorney that has an excellent record of handling personal injury cases. Whether they received substantial monetary awards for his/her clients via settlements or trial decisions, the attorney’s experience is paramount in choosing the right accident attorney for you. Ask if the attorney has experience with the type of accident you have had. If yes, this experience will prove “worth its weight in gold.
- Won-Lost Record – As with most sports teams, the attorney’s won-lost record says a great deal about him/her. If a personal injury lawyer has a winning record of obtaining large jury awards at trial or generates impressive monetary settlements from defendants, you can assume he/she has good judgment in accepting cases and/or is an accomplished litigator, comfortable and effective in the courtroom.
- Good Chemistry with You –Good chemistry is often over- or under-valued, but it’s important in your relationship with an accident attorney. Why? You must have confidence in your lawyer, or you’ll question his/her judgment, tactics, and decision making. This is dangerous, even if you also are an attorney.
Choose an Annapolis accident attorney who has multiple years’ experience, an impressive of success, and in whom you feel confidence and good chemistry. Some Annapolis attorneys have won the “Super Lawyer” award from Baltimore Magazine and Maryland Super Lawyers Magazine. You might start with the winners and select one who meets the previous criteria.
Depending on the type of accident you suffer, you should have multiple outstanding choices in the Annapolis area. There are some distinct types of personal injury beyond auto accidents, which tend to be physical, more than psychological or purely monetary.
Types of Situations That Accident Attorneys Can Solve
- Electrical and Electrocution – These require levels of particular evidence to create legal liability. An attorney familiar with these accidents will be aware of this special evidence necessary to establish liability.
- Social Security Disability Issues – An injury that qualifies you for Social Security Disability may not initially qualify for benefits. There are four potential legal steps you must take to qualify. You’ll need the assistance of an experienced attorney to navigate these troubled waters.
- Criminal Charges –While criminal law is a specialty outside of the “accident arena,” sometimes personal injury occurs in a DUI motor vehicle incident. The police may file criminal charges against the allegedly impaired driver. In these cases, an experienced accident attorney may convince a judge and/or jury of the absence of criminality, emphasizing the “accidental” nature of a crash.
An attorney that meets or exceeds the criteria for choosing the right lawyer for you will enhance your confidence in the outcome of an accident case. While there are no guarantees when dealing with insurance companies, judges, or juries, experienced attorneys typically are comfortable dealing with these uncertainties. You will become more comfortable with an experienced attorney, who “has your back.”